EU-funded territorial development programme presents first results in Georgiaხუთშაბათი, 08 აპრილი 2021 08:57
EU-funded territorial development programme presents first results in Georgia N.Frolova Thu, 04/08/2021 - 10:57
Sigrid Brettel, Head of Cooperation of the EU Delegation to Georgia, has visited municipalities in Imereti and Guria to see how EU-funded infrastructure projects in the regions are being implemented.
The six initiatives are part of the eleven initial projects financed by the governmental Pilot Integrated Regional Development Grant Programme (PiRDP), launched in June 2020 with total funding of GEL220 million. A significant part of this funding – GEL186 million – is provided by the EU.
Sigrid Brettel visited the following projects:
- rehabilitation of the road and pedestrian bridge to stimulate local business and promote tourism in Labajouri, Vani Municipality, Imereti;
- construction of a park in Sachkhere, Sachkhere municipality, Imereti;
- development of a tourist and business development service centre in the village of Vartsikhe, Baghdati municipality, Imereti;
- rehabilitation of a public square in Samtredia, Samtredia municipality, Imereti;
- construction of 1km road along the ‘Tea Route’ to develop tourism in the village of Bakhvi, Ozurgeti municipality, Guria;
- rehabilitation of two road bridges and 100m long riverbed wall, arrangement of 173 LED lights to develop a recreational area in Chokhatauri, Chokhatauri municipality, Guria.
“The PiRDP takes an integrated approach looking at the big picture of local development and moves decision making from Tbilisi to the regional level. It also stimulates competition among municipalities to present the best ideas that will receive funding,” said Sigrid Brettel.
PIRDP aims to create a favourable environment for promoting balanced and sustainable socio-economic development through integrated territorial development initiatives in four pilot regions of Kakheti, Imereti, Guria and Racha-Lechkhumi-Kvemo Svaneti.
Find out more