EU Initiative Covenant of Mayors - East
Covenant of Mayors East (CoM East) is the EU-funded project aimed at introducing the EU climate and energy initiative to the Eastern Partnership countries. CoM East supports local authorities in implementing sustainable energy policies, improving the security of energy supply, and facilities their contribution to climate change mitigation and adaptation.
The signatories of CoM East, which joined the Covenant of Mayors before October 2016, undertook to:
- Reduce their CO2 emissions by at least 20% by 2020.
New CoM East Signatories commit to:
- Reducing СО2 emissions by 30% by 2030.
- Enhancing resilience by adapting to the impacts of climate change and undertaking a climate change risk and vulnerability assessment.
CoM East objectives:
- Fostering the Eastern Partnership (EaP) cities’ development and implementation of their Sustainable Energy and Climate Action Plans (SECAPs).
- Enhancing sustainability of the Covenant of Mayors in the EaP countries and adapting the EU 2030 energy and climate objectives to the regional context.
- Raising awareness and promoting the new Covenant.
CoM East core activities:
- Capacity building to strengthen the expertise of Covenant National Coordinators (CNC), Covenant Territorial Coordinators (CTC), Covenant Supporters (CS) and Signatories in the field of energy and climate policies.
- Operating the Country Helpdesk to provide an administrative promotional and technical assistance to the CoM East Signatories and other stakeholders.
- Networking and Cooperating with financing institutions, international donors, relevant ministries, and cooperating with other initiatives and programs to develop a plan for achieving the CoM East objectives and give strategic direction to the CoM East initiative after 2020.
- Communicating & Promoting the CoM East results and achievements to the Signatories, CNC, CTC and CS, promoting and raising awareness of key stakeholders about the Covenant’s targets and benefits, achievements, success stories, best practices, etc.
- Coordinating & Monitoring development of the country strategis with national, international and EU initiatives, programs, as well as embedding the Covenant of Mayors initiative in the Eastern Partnership countries.
CoM East acts for:
- Local authorities interested in committing to the new Covenant and developing a Sustainable Energy and Climate Action Plan.
- Covenant signatory cities that have developed their Sustainable Energy Action Plans (SEAPs) and Sustainable Energy and Climate Action Plans (SECAPs).
- Covenant National Coordinators, Covenant Territorial Coordinators and Covenant Supporters directly involved in the capacity building and networking activities.
The CoM East Project was launched in September 2011. The first phase of the project (2011-2015) covered 11 countries of EaP and CA regions. The second phase of the project (2016-2020) covers 6 countries of EaP region.